Thursday, May 2, 2013

Sauciology

What will they think of next? I mean, we can fly hundreds of people through the sky at a time, split atoms, launch into space and beyond, but the real innovations that stand out are often the small ones. Take for example Ketchup. Ketchup is such a fundamental part of our lives that Ketchup evolutions really rock our world.


Brief Ketchup history -



Did you know the first ketchup did not have tomatoes in it at all? It is believed the first ketchup was brought home from China by British and Dutch sailors in the 1600's. The first printed recipes ingredients included things like anchovies, oysters, walnuts, and mushrooms. There were a great many varieties, and it wasn't until the early 1800's that tomatoes were added as an American variation. In 1872 Heinz developed the recipe that they still use today.

OK...so I don't have dates on all this, but we have the bottles that became commercially available in the 1800's, then later came packets with tear-able edges, and dipping tubs (my favorite from What A Burger), and even colored Ketchup in the early 2000's. And now we are on the brink of another great innovation in Ketchup. I just saw it for the first time at Chic Fil A...(yum yum). The packet is like a tub you can dip into, but it also has an end you can peel and squeeze it if you prefer. It's truly ingenious...and yet so simple. I can't believe it took this many years for someone to think of it.

So this brings to question, which type of ketchup user are you? A dipper? or a Squeezer? Well, I'm amazed (in more a "huh?" kind of way than a "why didn't I think of that" kind of way) to have stumbled on this...




The Toronto Sun published an article in which psychologist Donna Dawson identifies 7 sauciological types. You can view the full article here

Basically the 7 types are as follows:

1. Those who dunk into a well of ketchup are methodical and trustworthy. But they may also be control freaks who are afraid of change.
2. Ambitious people splodge their sauce in the middle of their food.
3. Creative types squirt and swirl their sauce in thin lines. But deep down they are impatient and do not tolerate fools or time-wasting.
4. Those who dot their ketchup are friendly, but live conservatively and dream of adventure holidays.
5. Smotherers are the life and soul of the party.
6. Artists who draw faces and words on their food have an easy-going approach to life.
7. Gourmets who keep ketchup in a cruet appear charming but, deep down, may be snobbish social charmers.

I never knew how much I was saying about myself as I was dipping, dunking, and squeezing. Remind me not to go to lunch with Donna Dawson, as I have no idea what my ketchup habits say about me.  Traditionally, I always seem to wind up with the clogged up, slow pouring, trick ketchup bottle.   I beat the side of the bottle senseless until a dribble of ketchup falls out on my fries and enthusiasm overtakes me and I pound harder until ketchup is all over something that is not potato related. Then I spend the rest of my meal trying to use the ickiest looking fry on my plate to scrape the ketchup off otherwise delicious fish.  


k

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search